From is a preposition that has many functions. Most English learners know that from is used to talk about people's origin but it is used in more cases. To learn them all, follow the lesson.
Functions of the Preposition 'From'
- 'From' shows a place or distance.
- 'From' shows time.
- 'From' shows material.
- 'From' shows reason.
- 'From' shows a fact.
- 'From' shows removal or separation.
- 'From' shows relation.
- 'From' shows protection.
- 'From' shows a range.
1. 'From' Shows a Place or Distance
From shows where something starts, indicates the distance, origin, or position. Look:
- From is used to show the place where something starts. Like:
He took a book
They called me
- From is used to show distance. For example:
We live three minutes
I am five miles away
- From is used to show someone's origin or nationality, like:
Where are you
- From is used to show the position of the observer. Look:
There is a picturesque view
You can see this shop
2. 'From' Shows Time
From is used to show the time when something starts. Look:
The gallery is open
I will start learning French
3. 'From' Shows Material
From like the preposition of is used to show the material of something. For example:
4. 'From' Shows Reason
From is used to show the reason or the cause of something.
She became rich
There is an increasing mortality rate
5. 'From' Shows a Fact
From is used to show the facts or evidence upon which we decide or judge something. Like:
'Based on this evidence'
6. 'From' Shows Removal or Separation
From is used after some verbs like 'escape from, prevent from, etc.' to show separation, removal, or prevention. For example:
I have withdrawn
It was removed
7. 'From' Shows Relation
From is used to show the relation between two things when talking about difference. Such as:
This book is different
I can't distinguish this
Can you tell this
This collection is distinct
8. 'From' Shows Protection
From is used to show protection, it has a similar meaning to 'against.' Such as:
Alice protects her cat
9. 'From' Shows a Range
From is followed by the preposition to to show a range of numbers or a scale of things.
- From is used before numbers or prices to show their beginning point. Look:
This book costs
The population has increased
- From is used to show the scale in which two or more things are placed, like:
Translate this text