What Are Their Main Differences?
'Less' refers to a small amount, while 'least' refers to the smallest amount or number.
Singular or plural Nouns?
- 'Less': is followed by a singular uncountable noun.
- 'Least': is followed by singular uncountable and plural countable nouns.
One of the
He has the
What They Refer to
- 'Less': refers to a small amount or degree.
- 'Least': refers to the smallest amount or degree.
Besides their mutual grammatical functions 'less' can be a preposition or an adverb as well.
- 'Less': as an adverb means not so much.
She would cry
- 'Less': as a preposition means to take away.
My friend paid back his debt
- 'Less' and 'least' can have different functions:
As a determiner
As a pronoun
Here, in this example 'less' is used as a 'determiner' since there is a noun after it.
I have done nearly everything; the
Less and Least as Quantifiers
Both 'less' and 'least' can be used as quantifiers before different classes of words.
Please control yourself and be
Here in this example 'less' is a quantifier that is followed by an adjective (worried).
My uncle is the