'Into' functions only as a preposition. In this lesson, we will discuss how to learn and use it.
Functions of 'Into'
'Into' as a Preposition
As stated above, 'into' functions only as a preposition. Below, we are going to learn about the kinds of prepositions it can be:
'Into' as a Preposition of Movement and Direction
'Into' can be a preposition of movement and direction.. Look:
- When we want to move something inside another so that it is covered or surrounded by it, we use 'into'. Look:
I want you to put that letter back
The Jonathans are going
- When the condition of something/someone is changing, we use 'into'. Here, 'movement' is not physical but rather it is a process of change. Look:
She has turned
Here, we can also use 'become'.
Andre Aciman's 'Call Me by Your Name' has been translated
- We can also use 'into' when some things/people crash. Look:
My friends walked right
I hate it when people get so drunk that they bump
- 'Into' also means walking 'straight towards something/someone'. Look:
Harry held up the Marauder's Map
He was looking straight
- When we suddenly get involved in something, we use 'into'. Look:
The two men suddenly dragged me
'Into' as a Preposition of Manner
'Into' can also be a preposition of manner. Look below:
- When we want to conduct a research or an analysis on something, we can use 'into':
The townspeople demand an inquiry
My vocal trainer has done a lot of research
'Into' as a Particle
- In mathematics, when we want to divide a number by another, we use 'into'. We use the verb 'be' in this case:
'Into' as a Preposition of Time
- When we want to specify a certain point in time, we use 'into' as a preposition of time. Look:
My friends and I read well
It seems that you have slept well
Position in a Sentence
Idioms and Expressions with 'Into'
We have very few idioms with 'into'. Below, we are going to learn all about them:
- Be into something: When we want to indicate that someone is very interested in something, we use 'into'. Take a look:
My friend is really
I cannot understand how someone can be that much
You might also like
'Under' is commonly used to express location. It functions as both a preposition and an adverb. In this lesson, we will discover all about them.
The word across is commonly used in the English language and it functions as both a preposition and an adverb. In this lesson, we will discover more.
'Until' is a word that is commonly used in the English language. In this lesson, we will learn more about it and its uses.
The word 'during' is used widely in the English language. We have collected all the information related to this word.
The word ago is commonly used when indicating something in the past. In this lesson, we will learn more about it.